Monday, June 11, 2012

{Recipe} ~ Chicken Pot Pie

Rainy Monday's have to be the worst. I only slept about five hours because I wanted to wait for Ryan to get home from Bonnaroo before I went to bed (which was after midnight). All day at work, while it poured raining outside, I just wanted to crawl under my desk and nap. Or even better, crawl in my bed in my pajamas and watch movies.

I knew I needed comfort food for dinner, so I whipped up my favorite comfort food (next to mac & cheese): chicken pot pie. I've adapted this recipe over the years until it's just the way I like it. I promise it's so easy and delicious. You'll never buy a frozen pot pie again!

Chicken Pot Pie


1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 10-ounce package frozen mixed vegetables
2 pre-cut pie crusts
2 cups water


Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place 2-quart pot over medium-high heat and add water. Add chicken breasts to pot, making sure the water covers chicken but will not overflow.  Cover pan with lid and cook chicken for 15 minutes, or until done
3. Remove chicken from heat and use knife to cut in small pieces, trimming off extra fat. Set chicken aside.
4. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
5. Add flour, stirring until mixture is smooth and thick.
6. Gradually add cream of chicken soup and chicken broth.
7. Stir in salt, pepper, mixed vegetables, and chicken.  Thoroughly stir to completely thaw vegetables.
8. Roll one pre-cut pie crust onto the pie pan, evenly distributing among pan.
9. Spoon chicken mixture into pie pan, filling pan to the top but making sure not to overfill it.
10. Cut the second pie crust into inch-wide strips.  Place them on top of the pie filling, alternating above and below the others to create a lattice.  Pinch the edges of both crusts together to keep the filling inside during cooking.
11. Place the pie pan in oven and bake for 30 minutes, until crust is golden brown.




No comments: