Tuesday, July 17, 2012

{Recipe} ~ Parmesan and Carrot Orzo

Who doesn't love a bowl of pasta with cheese and veggies? I've been making this dish for several years and can't remember where I found it originally. Maybe Southern Living? It's a great comfort food (think mac & cheese) or can be served as a side dish. I'm not sure why I was craving such a warm dinner in the middle of this heat wave, but I had shredded carrots, orzo, and chives on hand so I just went with it.

I've tweaked the recipe to my liking, and I always think it calls for too much liquid (water + chicken broth). But somehow, it always gets absorbed after cooking. You can add more liquid to make sure it's to your liking if you cut back originally. And start with a large saucepan! I always use my medium one and it's so full I can't stir the pasta! I ended up using my wok tonight because I knew it'd be big enough!

Parmesan & Carrot Orzo


Ingredients

8 oz. carrots, shredded
2 1/2 c. chicken broth
3 tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 c. orzo pasta
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 c. grated Parmesan
3 tbsp. fresh chives
1 tsp. fresh thyme

Directions

Combine 2 1/2 cups water and broth and microwave for 5 minutes (I'm not sure how necessary this step actually is, but I do it anyway).

Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender. Add orzo and garlic, and cook 1 minute.

Slowly stir hot broth mixture, salt, and pepper into orzo mixture. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Stir in Parmesan cheese, chives, and thyme until blended. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.

No comments: