Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hump Day Musings

We're halfway through the week and in the home stretch to the weekend! My sister is coming into town from California and it's Mother's Day! I'm pretty excited about a relaxing and fun weekend.

I feel like I've been so busy lately, with all sorts of activities during and after work -- it's as if I'm living on skates! So here's an update of all my happenings! 

I'm trying to get back on the workout bandwagon. Busy season kind of derailed all my good intentions. When I got home from work at 7:30 or 8 pm, the last thing I wanted to do was head to the gym. When I started this blog, I thought it would be full of my wonderful workouts (of the running variety), but I've self-admittedly gotten pretty slack. So Monday after work, I went for a quick run, only to discover that my hip injury is still in full swing. I'm determined to fight this thing quickly so I can keep my endurance up to start half-marathon training in August. Here's to icing and foam rolling A LOT!

I met Lauren for yoga at the Y afterwards and stretched all my tight muscles.

Our office hosted an event at the Drive Stadium on Tuesday promoting local businesses and a thriving downtown. We had a social event afterwards at a local restaurant to meet some local CEO's. I had plans to head to the gym afterwards, but opted out after two glasses of wine. Oops!

We went to Columbia for training AGAIN this morning. The sunrise on our drive:


We got back from Columbia with an hour to work before our firm hosted a recruiting event for the Clemson MPAcc program. I had a headache brewing, so I took some Excedrin and set up my computer at home. Oh the joys of a flexible job!


The best part of the event was that our firm was giving the students tervis tumblers with our logo. Since I've already professed my obsession love of tervis tumblers, you can imagine my excitement. The HR girl gave me permission to steal one for myself. Can't wait to use it! 

The recruiting event was over at 6 pm, and Lauren and I jetted home to change clothes and head to the gym again. We decided to try a new class, using Kettlebells, and boy was it a workout! 30 minutes of non-stop weights with quick bursts of cardio, crunches, and pushups. It was definitely a class I'll be frequenting often. Hello, toned arms!!

I'm going to try a new treadmill workout before work tomorrow. I found it on Steph's blog at Bite by Bite. I'll let you know how it goes!

2 lap warm up, 4 X’s 800M, 2 lap warm down, 1 lap rest
0.50 miles @ 6.2 mph
0.50 miles @ 7.0 mph
0.25 miles @ 6.3 mph
0.50 miles @ 7.1 mph
0.25 miles @ 6.3 mph
0.50 miles @ 7.2 mph
0.50 miles @ 6.3 mph
0.25 miles @ 3.3 mph

Total: 3.25 miles in 34:00
I saved my favorite for last! A blog I read daily, Christine at These Happy Miles, posted links to these great articles. The second one really got me thinking. I've been thinking of ways to simplify my life, after the dust settled from busy season. I've been trying to plan my meals, grocery shop a little smarter, and enjoy the little things. It's a work in progress. I really want to work on unplugging a bit more. It's extremely rare that I'm without some form of communication -- my phone being the biggest culprit. I even set it on the side of the bathtub while I soak! I must work on leaving my phone in my purse when I'm with friends and spending time with Ryan.



And this last one, (which I love) from Glamour
30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30:

By 30, you should have:
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age—and some money set aside to help fund it.
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account—all of which nobody has access to but you. 
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded. 
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. 
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra. 
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. 
13. The belief that you deserve it. 
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few facets of life that don’t get better after 30. 
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.
By 30, you should know:
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself. 
2. How you feel about having kids. 
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. 
4. When to try harder and when to walk away. 
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next. 
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town. 
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to. 
8. Where to go—be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat—when your soul needs soothing. 
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents. 
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love. 
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long. 
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally. 
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. 
15. Why they say life begins at 30!
........................................................................................................

Sorry this post was so incredibly random! Hope everyone is having a great week!

No comments: