Wednesday, November 7, 2012

{Recipe} ~ Corn and Black Bean Chili

We're having another "cold wave" here in SC and the high temperature yesterday was only 47 degrees (but will be back up to almost 70 by the weekend). When I hunkered down to watch the Presidential election results, I wanted nothing more than to curl up with a bowl of chili and a glass of red wine.

I headed to my Pinterest board, excited to cross another item off my bucket list. I wanted something that didn't involve the slow cooker or 20 ingredients. Enter this recipe I found over the weekend. My mom had seen my pin and had already made the chili and considered it a success, so I figured I could give it a try too!

I did modify it a little bit, so I will include my changes here, but know you still have access to the original recipe if you want it! I chose to use the southwestern corn mix because I'm not a huge fan of beans and didn't want a lot of black beans in the chili. This was a perfect compromise! I also placed a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese on top, obviously.

 I had a large bowl myself but made enough for leftovers. Nothing like a comforting bowl of soup for a cold day!

Corn and Black Bean Chili

Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound ground turkey
  • 2 teaspoons salt-free chili powder blend
  • 1 (14-ounce) can of southwestern corn (should have some black beans also)
  • 1 (10-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can seasoned diced tomatoes for chili
  • Reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
  • Sliced green onions (optional)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Preparation

1. Combine turkeyand chili powder blend in a large Dutch oven. Cook 6 minutes over medium-high heat or until turkey is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain and return to pan.

2. Stir in corn mixture, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Ladle chili into bowls. Top each serving with cheese, sour cream, and onions, if desired.

No comments: