Friday, October 12, 2012

{Recipe} - Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

As part of my fall bucket list, I wanted to make it part of my mission to test out some new pumpkin recipes. I've just recently discovered a love of all things pumpkin (thanks PSL), because I never really ate it growing up. We don't even have pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving (I know, the blasphemy)! I remember distinctly one year my dad brought home a pumpkin cheesecake from work, and it was so scrumptious. So I scooped up a few cans of pumpkin at the grocery store and started pinning every pumpkin recipe in sight.

Ryan and I are headed to the mountains this weekend to celebrate my dad's birthday with my parents and our family friends, so what better time to try out a new recipe?

I tried out a few new ones, which I'll be sharing soon, but I thought I'd post this one for the weekend in case anyone wanted to do a little baking in their free time! This recipe was fairly easy to throw together, but I did have a hard time making all the cookies the same size. The batter is much wetter than typical cookie dough, so it's not as easy to control when you scoop it onto a baking sheet. But I think that just adds some character to the pies!

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
from The Girl Who Ate Everything



1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist Spice Cake mix
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 (16 oz) container Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting

1. Prehead oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, add the cake mix, butter, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, eggs, and milk. Mix slowly for 30 seconds or until combined, then beat for 1-2 minutes. Batter will be on the wet side.
3. Drop tablespoon-sized dollops onto the cookie sheet. Try to make sure that they are all the same size.
4. Bake for 10-11 minutes. Let them cool completely.
5. Frost a cookie with a dollop of cream cheese frosting and top with another cookie. Store in airtight container and refrigerate until ready to eat.

No comments: