Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week 4 ~ Spinx Half 10.27.12

Last week was pretty much a training failure, but I'm honestly okay with it. I'll be back on track today!

After slowly upping my mileage week after week, I think my body needed a break. My shins were starting to ache on longer runs and I didn't have enough time to stretch and foam roll this week.


I missed my runs on both Friday and my long run on Sunday because we stayed in Atlanta until after dinner Sunday night.

Tuesday - 3 miles

Tuesday's "run" was actually cheating because I did 3 miles on the elliptical instead. I woke up early for this one and just don't think I was quite awake yet.

Wednesday - 4 miles

This run was amazing. We're back to hot, humid weather in the South, so this run was on the treadmill. I ONLY STOPPED TWICE! That's a huge improvement from my other runs, and it was also 4 minutes faster than my 4 miler from last week. 

In hindsight, sometimes you've just got to make do with your schedule, and I had a super busy week with after-work commitments everyday. Lack of sleep + 12 hours work days + trying to fit in a workout? Not. happening.

I also ate incredibly unhealthy all weekend (um, hello, tailgating is NOT conducive to fruit and vegetable intake) and am certainly feeling it today. 

Throughout training, you learn it's all about balance. I'm not the kind of girl who is going to miss out on a great weekend with friends because I've got to run 7 miles that day. That's just not me. Some people can make a huge commitment and sacrifice a lot to train for half marathons and marathons, and I commend them. But this is just a hobby for me and at the end of the day, my friends are more important than getting in that long run. I know I won't regret missing two of my training runs because I had a fantastic weekend! Totally worth it!


Dont Quote The Raven

2 comments:

bonbon said...

You say the week was a failure but I think it is something that you should be seriously proud of! Sounds like you are working hard and that will pay off- even if it doesn't always pay off instantaneously. Just found your blog and have enjoyed getting to know you better. I'm excited to follow along!

new follower :)
bonnie
bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

Charlotte said...

Thank you! It was only a failure in that I didn't quite stick to the plan!

Nice to meet you!