Friday, September 7, 2012

{Recipe} ~ Tequila Lime Chicken

When Lauren and I decided to have a few people over to watch the Virginia Tech vs. Georgia Tech game on Labor Day night, I wanted to cook something easy for dinner that didn't require a lot of prep work. (I'd much rather spend my time hanging out and enjoying my guests than trying to throw things together in the kitchen).

I've recently gotten Ryan hooked on the Food Network. I used to watch it all the time in college and last Sunday when we were being lazy, I turned it on and watched for hours. I thought Ryan was busy playing video games and/or reading about college football and/or checking his Fantasy Baseball stats on the Internet, but he would throw in comments every now and then, like "Oh that looks good!" or "Who the heck has time to make something that complicated?" Interesting, he can multitask.

Anyway, back to the point. So this past Sunday, when we were in Atlanta, and waiting for everyone to wake up/shower/find enough motivation to put on something other than pajamas, Ryan turned on the Food Network. Do you see where I'm going with this? My girl, The Pioneer Woman, was whipping up a Mexican fiesta. Remember that one time where I freakin' love Mexican food?

Moral of the story: I gave her recipe a whirl on Sunday, complete with guacamole. Everyone gobbled it up. Score.

Tequila Lime Chicken
adapted from The Pioneer Woman via the Food Network


Ingredients
  • 2 limes
  • 1/2 cup tequila
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 jalapeno, sliced
  • 1/2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cups grated Monterey Jack
Directions


Slice open the limes and squeeze the juice into a food processor or blender. Add the tequila, olive oil, salt, garlic, jalapeno and cilantro. Blend the mixture until totally combined. Add the chicken to a large plastic bag and pour in the lime-tequila mixture. Seal the bag and marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
Remove the chicken from the bag and grill it over medium-high heat. Rotate the chicken 45-degrees on both sides to create nice grill marks, and continue grilling until the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Melt the Monterey Jack over the top of the chicken breasts and serve immediately.

No comments: