One thing I love about having house guests is the opportunity to make breakfast! I hardly ever go through the process of "cooking" breakfast for myself, unless you count pouring a bowl of cereal or toasting an English muffin and poaching an egg "cooking."
Having girl sleepovers makes breakfast tricky though, because I knew they probably wouldn't appreciate sausage balls (my fave) with extra crispy bacon, either. My mom and I whipped up a pumkin french toast bake at Thanksgiving (which I just realized I forgot to post the recipe, dang it), but I didn't want something that sweet for breakfast this time around.
Since I was trying to stick with my festive cranberries, I started searching cranberry bread recipes online. I stumbled upon the one below, realized I had all the ingredients, and went to work!
It wasn't until I adjusted the recipe for 1 loaf that I realized the recipe was actually for mini-loaf pans.
There's nothing worse than having 4 hungry girls sitting around your kitchen island while you stare through the oven door saying, "Well, it's starting to resemble bread, so that's a good sign!"
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Bread
Yields 3 mini-loaves
- 1 cup Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 5 3/4x3 1/4x2-inch miniature loaf pans.
- Stir together chocolate chips, cranberries, pecans and orange peel in small bowl; set aside.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl; with pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in orange juice, egg and reserved chocolate chip mixture just until moistened; divide evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.